Medicine Springs Ranch
Price: $2,552,000 ($2200 price per acre)
Size: 1,160+/- Acres
County: Murray County , Oklahoma
PROPERTY OVERVIEW: East of the Arbuckle Mountains, in an area once known as the “Field of Eden”, Indian Chiefs from the Southern Plains Tribes would journey with their sick and ill to a place with spring water so pure it was believed to cleanse both body and soul. Long before the land would ever be seen by early 1500’s era explorers, the Southern Plains Indian Tribes would bath in the curative and spiritually powerful springs near present-day Sulphur. Today, just 8 miles northeast of those same creeks, the Medicine Springs Ranch is offered “For Sale” for the first time in over 90 years.
The Medicine Springs Ranch is a diverse combination ranch found in the northeastern portion of highly sought-after Murray County in Central Oklahoma. The property is approximately 8.4 miles by way of paved U.S. Highway 177 and graveled East Palmer Road from downtown Sulphur, OK. While the property is utilized for livestock and recreation, it also offers scenic terrain with dramatic topography and big views, numerous potential building sites, hardwood forests, miles of both seasonal and named creeks, rolling native pastureland, and plentiful surface water. Primary features include the quintessential Murray County landscape consisting of unique rolling topography, the perennial Cochran Creek, multiple stock ponds, one lake, multiple potential lake site(s), outstanding wildlife habitat and strong native pastures for grazing cattle.
It’s especially rare in this area to find a ranch of this size and quality with limited improvements. We are honored to offer the Medicine Springs Ranch to the market. We believe this property represents an unparalleled opportunity to own a large sprawling, legacy ranch at the foothills of the Arbuckle Mountains, a place once known simply as “Medicine Springs”.
TERRAIN: Medicine Springs Ranch ranges in elevations from ~ 1,264’ near the eastern boundary to ~ 1,086’ near the western boundary for a total of ~ 178’ of elevation change. The land is marked by a scenic transition from east to west throughout the property. Picturesque points, mottes, open pastures and hilltops transition into treed riparian areas. Seasonal drainages flow into beautiful Cochran Creek.
TREE COVER & WILDLIFE HABITAT: Approximately 50% of the property is wooded with a strong collection of mature pecan trees, elm, oak, cottonwood, sycamore, Chickasaw plum, redbuds, and other trees common in the area. Brush and beneficial browse for wildlife include greenbrier, blackberries, sand plum and other native species. The draws and riparian creek areas are wooded and the remaining 50% of the land is productive, open upland prairie with native grasses. The main soils on the ranch consist of Clarita Clay, the Catoosa-Shidler Complex and Garvin & Elandco. The diversity of vegetation, cover, reliable water sources, and natural travel corridors created by the landscape all combine to provide top-tier wildlife habitat.
Approximately 19+/- acres of the property was recently enrolled in an Oklahoma NRCS sponsored program for the restoration and seeding of Monarch Butterfly habitat. A combination of removing cedar and planting habitat for the Monarch’s like milkweed and other nectar-rich plants provides yet another unique aspect to the property.
WILDLIFE & HUNTING: The array of wildlife on Medicine Springs Ranch is a unique and virtually unpressured asset seldom found in large acreage ranches available today. The whitetail deer herd in this region regularly produces trophy sized bucks scoring in the 150- 160 B&C class. The ranch has experienced little to no hunting pressure. In addition to the deer, Rio Grande turkeys are numerous in this part of Murray County, and provide outstanding hunting potential. Feral hogs, dove, ducks, bobcats, coyotes, varmints, reptiles and many different birds all thrive within the impressive wildlife habitat found throughout the property.
WATER FEATURES & FISHING: Cochran Creek is a perennial and clear creek that traverses the northwestern part of the property for approximately 1.64+/- miles. There are numerous seasonal/wet-weather creek drainages that drain water throughout the property, supplying water to 9 stock ponds and one lake approximately 3.5+/- acres in size. In the southern portion of the property, four draws/drainages converge to form an unnamed creek that flows into Cochran Creek just off the western boundary of the property. We believe this drainage could serve well as a potential lake-site, measuring approx. 20-21+/- surface acres.
The stock ponds and small lake provide excellent, on-site fishing opportunities for black bass, crappie and catfish. The avid angler also has other opportunities nearby such as fishing on Lake of the Arbuckles. The public boat ramp is only 30 minutes south of the ranch. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation has rated Lake of the Arbuckles as the best bass fishing lakes in the entire state.
FENCES, PASTURES & CATTLE: Native pastures with bluestem grasses are found throughout the ranch, with over 50% of the ranch being open land with scattered trees and brush. Carrying capacity is believed to be 1 animal unit per 8-10 acres. Cattle were recently removed to allow the pastures to recover in the growing season. There are 3 primary pastures with a smaller 4th pastures and several traps. Fencing is in poor to excellent condition. The central to northern part of the west fence was recently constructed and is in excellent condition. Southern portion of the west fence appears to be in poor condition and needs to be replaced. The eastern fence is new and in excellent condition and the northern fence is in good condition. The south fence along East Palmer Road is in good to great condition with a main pipe entrance and secondary entrance.
ROAD FRONTAGE & INTERIOR ROADS: Medicine Springs Ranch offers multiple options for ranch access with approximately 1.25 +/- miles of frontage along East Palmer Road (aka E1690 Road) with an existing, main gate and a secondary entrance just west of the main entrance. Interior roads are somewhat limited, but in good condition with some gravel in areas.
STRUCTURAL IMPROVEMENTS: Three older, wood framed and metal barns/ outbuildings sit near the center of the property and are complemented by a set of steel working pens. A spring/ water well was dug out in 1944 and sits next to a hackberry tree near an old homesite in the center of the property. The cement casing and surface-level piping may need to be restored and preserved.
LOCATION & AREA ATTRACTIONS: The ranch is located 2 hours 20 minutes north of Dallas, 1 hour 30 minutes south of Oklahoma City, and 15 minutes northeast of Sulphur, OK. The Chickasaw National Recreation Area measures 9,898+/- acres, open to the public for horseback riding, hiking, fishing, camping, trail riding and much more. The Travertine District encompasses the original Platt National Park and is much like a large city park being three miles long and less than one mile wide, following Travertine Creek. Parking areas, camp and picnic grounds, creek access, swimming holes, springs, the Travertine Nature Center and a bison pasture can all be found in the park. Antelope Springs and Buffalo Springs at the eastern end of the park produce an estimated 5 million gallons of pure, cold, crystal-clear water. The water flows into Travertine Creek and then Rock Creek, before forming the Lake of the Arbuckles. The Travertine District is often crowded in the summer and a very popular tourist destination within Oklahoma, the district has been described in newspaper and magazines as an oasis in the Oklahoma prairie.
Built in 1966 by the Bureau of Reclamation, a large portion of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area is the 2,401+/- acre Lake of the Arbuckles. Incredibly scenic and clear, the lake is the main water supply reservoir for the city of Ardmore. The impoundment of Rock Creek and thus the springs that flow into Rock Creek provide excellent water quality and clarity for the Lake of the Arbuckles. Featuring 36 miles of shoreline, this lake has been rated as the best bass fishing lake in the state by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. Fishing for crappie, catfish, largemouth bass, white bass and bluegill is permitted year-round.
Facilities throughout the Chickasaw National Recreation Area include three campgrounds setup for tents and RV’s, picnic areas, public restrooms, boat docks and ramps and several miles of multi-use trails. Hunting is also allowed throughout the National Recreation Area, and typical species hunted in the area are quail, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, dove, ducks, geese, and deer.
Sulphur, Oklahoma is home to the Artesian Hotel, Casino and Spa, as well as several fine dining and casual restaurant spots. The Chickasaw Cultural Center includes a Museum, Amphitheater, Sky Pavilion, Art Gallery, Traditional Indian Village and a café. Near Davis, Oklahoma is the oldest park in Oklahoma, Turner Falls Park, with over 1500 acres surrounding a 77-foot tall waterfall. The park includes a rock castle, picnic site, recreational areas, cabins, bathrooms, and sandy beaches.
For University of Oklahoma alumni and fans, Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is a 1 hour and 20-minute drive from the ranch gate, along with Norman and its small, college town atmosphere.
AREA HISTORY: Many Indian legends and traditions are written in the springs that surround present-day Sulphur and Murray County, Oklahoma. The Indian Tribes of the Southern Plains had taken their sick and ill to the springs for over 500 years, it is written that the Indians knew of ‘Medicine Springs’ 50 years before Coronado, a Spanish Explorer, would be the first European to see them in 1541.
In the 1830s, the Five Tribes (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole) from the Southeastern U.S. were resettled in Indian Territory, present-day Oklahoma. At that time Oklahoma was known for its abundance of wildlife. The south-central part of the state was commonly referred to as the ‘Field of Eden’ as many tribes, including the Cherokee, hunted throughout this part of present-day Oklahoma. The Cherokees new land encroached on space belonging to the Osages, coming from Missouri; the Caddo’s battled the Choctaws coming from Mississippi. In addition to bringing large herds of livestock to the Indian Territory. By the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 the Cherokee Nation alone had nearly a quarter-million head grazing on the fertile native grasses of southcentral Oklahoma. By 1872, 400,000 head passed through Indian Territory each year. Sulphur lay between the famous Texas and Chisholm Trails.
As fame of the curative powers of the mineral springs spread, an influx of white settlers into Chickasaw Nation mounted during the 1880’s and 1890’s in the post-Civil War Era. The first store was established about 1885 and a town, originally named Sulphur Springs, began to develop around Rock Creek. The first U.S. Post Office was established in Sulphur Springs on Oct. 2, 1895.
In 1902, the United States federal government had purchased over 700 acres from the Chickasaw Nation and deemed the area “Sulphur Springs Reservation.” The town had to move, with the government footing the bill. While some moved out of the park area to a hill east of Rock Creek, others moved to the west side of the Rock Creek. Thus, there was West Sulphur and East Sulphur on either side of the large creek, and with no bridge between them, rivalry and threats of violence soon followed. The town built a bridge across the creek and buried inside the bridges concrete both a hatchet for peace and a horse shoe for good luck.
In 1904, the Sulphur Springs Reservation was changed to Platt National Park, named for U.S. Senator Orville H. Platt who was active in Indian affairs. The town boasted over 4,000 population at the time of statehood in 1907. Today, the park has been renamed the Chickasaw National Recreational Area, and the town of Sulphur has a population of ~4,794. Sulphur still remains today a popular tourist destination in Oklahoma for the same reason the Southern Plains Indians once journeyed here, the natural springs.
AIRPORTS: Ada Regional Airport (KADH) is a full-service public airport located 2+/- miles North of Ada and 26+/- miles from the ranch gate. The airport averages 34+/- aircraft per day with two (2) runways measuring 6,203’ by 100’ and 2,717’ by 50’. A helipad at the airport is also available and is measured 40’ by 40’. Additionally, Ardmore Municipal Airport (KADM) is located 10+/- miles NE of Ardmore and 30+/- miles from the ranch gate. This airport averages 72 aircraft per day with two (2) runways measuring 9,002’ and 5,404’.
DIRECTIONS FROM OKLAHOMA CITY (1 hour, 30 minute drive):
Take I-35 South to Exit 66 for OK-29 toward Wynnewood, OK. Take East Robert S. Kerr out of Wynnewood. Travel east for 12+/- miles before turning right onto US-177. Take US-177 south for 6+/- miles before turning left onto East Palmer Road. The entrance gate to the ranch will be 4.0+/- miles on your left.
DIRECTIONS FROM DALLAS (2 hour, 20 minute drive):
Take I-35 North to Exit 51 for US-77 and Davis, OK. Go north towards Davis, OK for 3.6 +/- miles before turning right on Main Street, which turns into Oklahoma State Highway 7. Go east for approximately 6.2 miles, before turning left onto the Chickasaw Turnpike. Go north for 3.5 +/- miles exiting onto US-177, go north for 1.4 miles before turning right onto E Palmer Road. The entrance gate to the ranch will be 4.0 +/- miles on your left.
MINERALS: Surface only. There is no active production in the area or on the property.
GROUND WATER: The property sits above the prolific Arbuckle Simpson Aquifer. Owner to reserve 50% future royalties if water is to be commercially sold. There is one water well in the trap near the working pens, but details of the well are unknown at this time. There is a spring that has previously been tapped as an additional water source and could be reworked to service cattle.
RIGHT-OF-WAYS: One larger transmission line easement crosses the property in the northwest corner for approx. 0.97+/- miles. There is also a smaller electric line easement providing electricity to the barn and headquarters area. The location and appearance of the larger transmission line doesn’t appear to have an adverse effect on the property.
UTILITIES: Electricity is provided by People’s Electric Cooperative (PEC). The line runs into the property from the main entrance on East Palmer Road. Sulphur City Municipal Water line may also provide rural water to the property.
SCHOOL DISTRICT: Roff School District.
PROPERTY TAXES: The property taxes for 2018 were estimated to be approximately $2,388.
Blake Hortenstine– Partner/Broker, 214-616-1305 mobile, email@example.com
Cash McWhorter– Partner/Broker, 469-222-4076 mobile, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Wengierski– Agent, 214-707-3474 mobile, email@example.com